20 February 2007

Fortunate Life

With all of my rantings in my previous postings, I have to admit that I am very fortunate in my life thus far. Yes, I am alone but the simplicity has helped me survive and sheltered me from the harsh parts of mankind :)

Last week, I received a snail-mail letter from a man who was taking a shot in the dark hoping that I was his long lost cousin. His name is Tom and with the same last name as our fathers are brothers. He wrote that he found pictures of me when we were young from a person who recently died in the family. I called his mobile number and sure enough, it was Tom and he successfully found me! He said he found me on the website from all of the Korean adoptee information, birth search, etc. Since I am listed in the phone book, he found my mailing address. We caught up with each others' families after no contact for 30 years; thanks to our Italian family dysfunctional dynamics! Needless to say, this was quite an emotional and shocking moment to speak with someone that I haven't seen that length of time. We will be reuniting at Chicago O'Hare airport later this week...pictures to follow.

This makes my irritants in life so meaningless when things like this happen. There are only so much we have in control of our lives; other things happen for the reasons that they do. I can't wait to contact my parents after this reunion!

No comments: