03 April 2008

Another Walk in the Park

Being on a home vacation has certainly made me conscious of many things:
1. I am allergic to cats, dogs, horses 4+++ to the point of near status asthmaticus in my home yesterday after wiping down and vacuuming everything possible that would have flying cat dander. I will NOT give up my girls! I have to sacrifice my life to Cinderella-hood to keep my environment clean as possible. This includes a weekly grooming of the cat dander and house cleaning :(
Otherwise, I am living with a companion now called the nebulize machine. One step toward a respirator (ventilator) if I am hospitalized for any chest trauma or cardiac surgery. This is a result of my childhood viral pneumonia - my respiratory immunities are shot!

2. Because of resurfaced allergies, I am destined to go for another round of allergy testing and therapy with my allergist who scolded me for getting cats in my house again. The idea of purchasing the 'Grand Feline Hotel' business (cat kennel in Ojai) is out of the question if I have to maintain the environment of 2 cats. Being around up to 40 will kill me.

3. I updated my ravelry account with the photos of finished projects; a bit delinquent in that area. Being bedridden for #1 above has helped me advance on the Charlotte's Web and Clapotis shawls. Not that I am asking for this situation at all.

Before my big asthma event, I hiked with Lisa, Beck and Terry last Sunday capturing cool pictures of nature.
From the book of "Flowering Plants" this blossom is on the Mexcian Elderberry bush. The fruit is a blueberry eaten by Indians. They made a soothing tea from the dry blossoms for fevers and spread it on sprains and itches.

Wild Cucumber: trailing vine from a huge fleshy root with long stalked leaves.The bright green fruit has several 'handsome' seeds inside. California Indians made necklaces out of those seeds.






Hummingbord Sage:







Fuschia-Flowered Gooseberry (couldn't get as close for a good picture)


If anyone knows what flowering plant this is, please let me know while I persuse through the book. I love the bright red coloring!



Coming back from the hike the sunlight was just right filtering through the trees onto the ground ferns.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling better.

The pictures look great and with this new rain things should stay green for a little bit longer. See you tonight.

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,
Our hike/knitting was so much fun last weekend. So sorry about your Asthma/Allergies! Wow...
Your photo's are great! Where's the snake-lizard?! Lisa

Julie said...

I am an asthma person also...and terrible allergies run in my family! I can fend off the doctor and hospital by drinking tons of hot black tea to open my airways (lungs)! I highly recommend it! Afer I put a pot of water on to boil, I just leave it on LOW setting all day, and just keep drinking my cups of hot tea.

Hey, I don't know what that red flowering plant is, but it sure is gorgeous! I will keep my eye out for it's I.D.

Nice blog...love your photography!

Anonymous said...

YOur pictures are fantastic. Have you ever thought about seeing an herbalist or an acuppunturist for your allergies? My father in law went to an herbalist for his allergies & now, honestly, has no more trouble. Just a thought. I know when you a suffering you are willing to think about anything to make it end.

Great pictures of the lizards. LOVE THEM!

Cheryl said...

Thanks Julie - didn't know you were asthmatic as well. Will keep remembering to drink the black tea. Now have honey to go with it. Tea, knitting and kitties - wow I am turning into another stereotype.