28 November 2006

And now a word from my friendly neighbor...

http://www.aeraenergy.com/whoweare/Ventura.htm

Last week I received a memo notice in my door knob from this company stating that there was an incident in the oil field operated by them which may impact me or some of my neighbors. There was a release of acrolein. They quickly resolved the issue however cleanup activities at the site continue. There was an investigation initiated to see what was the cause of such an incident while operations using acrolein have been suspended until the work is completed. They are working with Ventura County Environment Health officials and the fire department personnel.

This week I managed to look up what acrolein is and why there is a health concern (like my expedience?). This substance has lots of uses; since this is an oil company they use it I imagine to avoid algae growth in the oils - a biocide. It's highly mobile in the soil and air. Toxicity affects mucous membranes and the lung tissue more so. Just what I need with my asthma and allergies...more respiratory irritants!

I appreciate this companies distribution of such notice as I would imagine they are by law required to report such information to the communities. As Martha Stewart would say, "It's a good thing!" Now if only I can get a notice from the biological fairy to tell me when menopause will hit me :)

1 comment:

Becky said...

I didn't know you had asthma!

Are you allergic to dogs too?

Don't you just love the friendly reminders? We had one some years back to remind us to cover our cars while the city sprayed for bugs.

Cover my cars? What about my pets?