30 January 2009

Australia Day!

Posting on the last day of January living in my fourth continent....

They eat Skippy down here! I found out last week that they eat kangaroo meat down here on the BBQ. They cannot cook it too long or else it becomes too tough to eat. So...they eat mutton and kangaroo. Have I eaten any yet? No way. I ate a silk worm larvae while visiting in Korea and that is about the extent of my adventurous taste testing. My apetite is happily decreasing with the very hot dry weather now and the fact that I am walking everywhere. My mid section is finally feeling a bit trimmer.

On Australia day (last Monday), I went to Port Melbourne. It was an equivalent to San Pedro harbor in Los Angeles but much cleaner and prettier! There are ferries or ships that go to Tasmania from here. Because it was a holiday, there was the Young Endeavor and The Enterprise ships sailing in and out of the port. What a nice surprise! I LOVE authentic vessels like these.


Young Endeavor - replica of the ship that Capt. Cook came over to Australia in.





The Enterprise

Wishful thinking...the barge you see in the background, I was fantasising that all of my shipped belongings were arriving into port. Haha


St. Kilda Beach (reminds me of Miami Beach). I realised that my thick American accent is not always understood. When I was asking a woman about the ships approaching if it's a race or an event...she said "Talk to my husband, I can't understand what you are saying". If I talked to a husband in America, I would have been slapped by that woman. Such subtle social differences here.
Have to find the time to get to Tasmania and find a devil. I was told from a man I met watching the boats come in that there are not many left.

Off to shopping I go - bought this bed




and this chair and ottoman but will be in grey-pewter color


Down on Elizabeth street, I felt like I was visiting mini-Korea. Here is an artist doing the beautiful name banner in pictures....same what I saw in Seoul in 2000.



Then there was this poor pathetic 76 y/o performing with a sign in front of him stating he was injured during the Korean war

He is standing on a box with a hoola hoop with this garb on. A little bit of Venice Beach flashback.

No comments: