30 January 2009

Stifling Heat and Drought

Yup...just like living in California again.

This past week, finally got my temporary place sprayed for bugs and the bathroom sink unclogged by a plummer. Also getting identity checked by the apartment management company I have been selected to be the renter. More paperwork and checks to get here. Apparently these folks have taken stringent security precautions for anyone to enter, work and live here in this country since 911 tragedy.

Been watching the Australia Open (hooked on it since last weekend) and it's now down to the finals. I thought of going down there to see a live match but the heat and crowds are not for me. I see the plays much better on the TV anyway. Melbourne park does show the match on a screen but once again...heat and crowds. Wanted to see Nadal lose last night for the sake of seeing Verdasco the underdog win. Guess it will be a rematch of Wimbeldon with Federer and Nadal. Haven't been watching much of the woman's matches. Good luck Serena!

Today I selected more furniture for my antipcated place and a fridge from Brooke, our admin support in the office. Just a matter of scheduling movers to pick this stuff up and move it in. Still needing to get a microwave, TV and washer/dryer. I have to find a place first where I can get all of these items in one place; Good Guys, whatever.

Noticing sayings with people:
"heaps" - translates to 'a lot'
"on the back foot" - translates to 'being behind'
"bloke"

There are others but I cannot understand them as they say them too fast for me. Far dikcum (spelling?) was what I thought is a common saying but nobody I have run across has said that yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fair dinkum!!

Tina + Tom said...

Hey Cheryl- We are glad that things are going well!