18 January 2009

I HAVE ARRIVED

I am here in Melbourne - uneventful flight and it was quick! The only mishap was that there was nobody at the apartment to give me the key; no concierge to let me in etc. Thank goodness the taxi driver from Melbourne airport allowed me to use his phone to call the building manager. Building manager called the contact for my access to the apartment and the rest is history.

It has definately changed since 1986! More Asian population than I remember; only a handful of Black or Afro-Australians on the street. What is funny is this place reminds me of British California: the young Asian girls are walking around with hiked up dresses or skirts and stileto heels. California we see the young Hispanic girls dressed like that. I love their accents! I am going to really like it here even though I have problems understanding them when they speak fast.

I have taken photos of the downtown areas but haven't uploaded to this PC yet. I am conserving energy in the battery because I need to find an Olympic store that sells the battery charger adapter to Australian current. My portable converter set doesn't seem to work :( I have bought my first weekly tram/train transport ticket to ride the public rails throughout the city. I just have to remember what side of the street to stand in order to get on the tram that is going the direction I want. Damn the left-sided transporters here! Haven't been run over by crossing the street yet since I look in the right direction before crossing; just disoriented on the trams.

Here is the rundown of similarities:
-McDonalds EVERYWHERE! Yuk!
-Burger Kings everywhere as well but they are called "Hungry Jacks"
-Starbucks Coffee (of course)
-Virgin Records
-Cable cars everywhere for transport just like being in San Francisco
-Weather and ambient air is absolutely wonderful; just like being in Southern California
-Street performers (bought my first CD from a Japanese artist who plays honky tonk blues)
-People honk in their cars while driving impatiently

Subtle Differences:
-Getting used their currency and coins; paper currency all have different colors like other countries
-David Jones is their large department store (haven't had the time to shop there nor ambition)
-Showers do not exist in homes; they bathe with a half glass on the tub to shelter the floor from the shower head (just like the UK)
-Spelling of their words are taken from the British spelling e.g. Centre and colour
-They drive on the left side of the street with the steering column in the right side of the car
-Their local coffee shops sell instant coffee and not the bean/grounded coffee (YUK!)

I am sure I will come across more similarities and differences as time marches on. My priority is to get myself burried in the current project of work and find my own apartment and health care here in the great state of Victoria - Australia. Photos will follow once I have access to power to my battery charger.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So when do you plan on searching out the LYS? :D Congrats on everything so far! Sounds like you are doing awesome.

Beatriz said...

Yay...glad you made the first steps in your new digs. I've always wanted to see the tiolet flush the other way. No, seriously, I'd love to read more about the differences you encounter daily. Hugs!

Dogmommy4 said...

Good on ya, Mate! Glad the trip down under was uneventfull. We spent some time in your new city. . .I really love the look of things in Melborne. Its been at least 15 years since our trip but the old stuff is still there. Love the gargoyls and the roof line creatures on many houses and buildings. Love the train station down town. Love the tram system! Will look forward to reading of your life in Auzzy land.

Anonymous said...

Separate showers do exist in homes - they are more usual there than a shower over the bath. In houses which have en suites, the en suite will generally only have a shower, and the bath is in the main (family) bathroom.
Flats and small or old houses often will have the shower over the bath, because there isn't room to have a separate shower.
I personally think the shower over the bath is a better idea - less cleaning, and you can put the plug in and bucket the water out on to the garden, or use it for flushing the toilet.
We are in the tenth year of a serious drought here, and you need to be VERY careful using water. Our storages are at less than 35% capacity.
BTW, tell Dogmommy4 that you live in MelboUrne, and that it's "Aussie", thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh, a couple of other things - DJs is ONE of the dept shops - and it's expensive! There's also Myers, and the shopping centre ones like Target, KMart and BigW.

Dunno where you found coffee shops which do instant - they are few and far between. But if you want really decent coffee (not that ersatrz stuff they have at Starbucks & Gloria Jeans), then you need to go to Lygon St (Carlton) or Brunswick St. (Fitzroy) - hop on a tram!!!
Also, you will find out soon enough that the weather isn't always nice - it's going to be feral this week. It is generally accepted that Melbourne doesn't have a climate, it only has weather, and specially in the "spring", we have all 4 seasons in the one day. The weather is autumn is generally the most reliable and pleasant. If you don't like it other times, wait a few hours or a day, and it will have changed... (Melbourne joke!)