31 January 2009

People in Melbourne and Misc.

Last Friday night after work, a bunch of us went around on a pub-crawl. We ended up in "Squires"; part of the Portland Hotel on Russel Street. I ordered fish & chips and round of drinks for my colleagues. Meanwhile, the men's semi-final Australia open was on the TV. I was rooting for Verdasco since Nadal is #1 seed. I want to see the underdog win. There was a guy in the pub who made a bet with me: I buy him a drink if Nadal wins the first set / he buys me a drink if Verdasco wins the first set. Low and behold, I got a free pint out of it! What a sweet guy - he was half my age and from the area called Fitzroy, his name is Donnie. I didn't have my camera with me or else I would have definately taken a photo of us. He said that they all love Obama down here. Yes - they do love us Americans even though they are contained under the Commonwealth.

Went home appliance shopping today at the "Good Guys"; which is the equivalent to our Amercian "Best Buy". Selected a washing macine, vacuum cleaner and microwave all to be scheduled for delivery when the washer is available. Attempted to use my corporate credit card from the States and couldn't use it. I guess the security on this is working. Amercian card being used on extraordinary credit purchasing amounts. Last weekend it was David Jones charges for the chair and bed purchase. 2 more weeks in my temporary confines and waiting for my acceptance into the Bourke Street city apartment.

The public transport is very easy here. MetCard purchase includes trains, buses and trams - how cool is that? Too bad California couldn't be that gracious. People on these public transports all speak different languages; made me feel right at home in Southern California. Unfortunately, I am not dressed as a girly-girl with sleeveless tank tops anymore. Not exactly a Vogue model here from the States :P The locals here are very helpful when you are asking for directions and help to get around. In Los Angeles, you are lucky you find someone who is willing to not think of themselves in order to help out.

Found great Indian food here but I think I ate the wrong item yesterday....my tummy has not been the same. Cropped up some IBS issues (irritable bowel syndrome). Nice to have when in the stifling summer heat waiting for the tram with other people.

Otherwise, I am knitting up a storm. I am finishing up one sleeve for Flo's Blossom remake and finished one cashmere sock for Frank; top down size 2 needles. I made him a pair toe up size 0 and I am thinking of redoing them since they turned out too large and clumsy looking than the top-down. When I redo that first pair, I will use size 1 needles since I have already severed the yarn for the one sock. I miss hanging out with the Ventura knitn kitns and wondering if they really miss me. Waiting for all of my stash to arrive in shipment April. Yes, all of my yarn stash is coming over here. I get the feeling that the quality of fibers here will not be the same.

2 comments:

Dogmommy4 said...

Yes, Cheryl, we do miss you here! But I'm also having a great time reading about your adventures and remembering our time in that city. You reminded me of a wonderful meal we had in a very modern Chinese restaurant where the girls in the back came out to see the funny Americans eat the filling out of the pretty lettuce bowls. They sounded like little birds as they tried to mask their chuckles. We asked and were VERY POLITELY told - we were supposed to roll the lettuce leaves up and eat the entire thing. Talk about a DURRRRR moment!
It's the morning of the Super Bowl Knit-o-Rama at Anacapa today. I'll raise a dipped chip in your honor at the "Round Table". Feel it??
be safe . . . ginny

Beatriz said...

Cheryl, we miss you already and wish you were still here. But who are we to hold you back from being the international woman of travel. We have an opportunity to live vacariously thru your adventures. So have a good time and keep on blogging! Bea